The following is taken from a newspaper clipping 1842:
“TO BE AUCTIONED.
To be sold at auction on September the 2nd 1842. Town section 270 situated in Cambria St north of the Wood, together with the dwelling house erected thereon, now in occupation of MR IMRIE, containing 3 rooms and a passage, brick chimney and an oven, fowl and pigeon house. A considerable portion of the acre is cultivated planted and sown. Within its bounds is a falling spring of purest bright water."
This was the first account of this hillside house in Nelson. In 1849 the section included another 10 acres and stables were added. In 1868 Hillside House was extended to 8 bedrooms. The long drive from Grove St was used by Carriages. Horses were kept in the new stables, and the owner George Myers ran an iron mongery business. Hillside House is one Nelsons historical treasures, being well maintained and preserved by many of the professional families that have resided here. The house currently has five bedrooms, and is full of grace and character. The two storey home with far reaching views from all rooms is built of Rimu, Kauri, Heart Totara and Black Matai on a foundation of cobble stone. There are now two reception rooms and a stylish new Adobe walled kitchen and dining room. One of the main features of this house is the Rosewood Staircase and marble fire surrounds shipped from Europe in 1862. From one of the bathrooms you can bathe in a claw foot cast iron Victorian bath and look out onto the native nature reserve. This creates a feeling of peace and tranquillity as the abundant birds fly by. The long drive that enters the property has a heritage listed ancient Chestnut tree and two old Oaks planted by the early settlers.